Two options are available for searching the Chaṭṭha Saṅgāyana Tipiṭaka:
1) New online search engine.
2) Older database search engine (see instructions below)
How to use the Database Search Engine
1. Type the word you are looking for in the search box at upper left hand corner. In case of multiple words, leave a space between words
2. Click on the Go button
Example 1: Single Word Search
For eg a search for the word “dana” will result in a display as under:
Full text / 133 records
[+] (13) Vinaya
[+] (75) Sutta
[+] (2) Abhidhammapitake
[+] (43) Anna
If you click on the plus sign next to Vinaya, you will see the tree of the results for this word in Vinaya as under[+] (1) Parivārapāḷi
[+] (1) Sāratthadīpanī-ṭīkā (dutiyo bhāgo)
[+] (1) Vinayasaṅgaha-aṭṭhakathā
[+] (1) Vimativinodanī-ṭīkā (dutiyo bhāgo)
[+] (1) Vinayālaṅkāra-ṭīkā (paṭhamo bhāgo)
[+] (3) Vinayavinicchaya-ṭīkā (dutiyo bhāgo)
[+] (1) Pācityādiyojanā
[+] (4) Khuddasikkhā-mūlasikkhā
3. If you click further on the (+) sign again, it will open up the tree further.
4. If you click on the number (13) next to Vinaya – this means 13 results in Vinaya – then you will see the results open up in the lower box on the right, as under :
dānā paṭiggahā bhogā, tividhā puna dhammikā.
ettha tāva dānantiattano santakassa cīvarādiparikkhārassa
Brahmadaṇḍassa dānanti kharadaṇḍassa ukkaṭṭhadaṇḍassa dānaṃ.
Brahmadaṇḍassa dānanti kharadaṇḍassaukkaṭṭhadaṇḍassa dānaṃ.
and so on. Click on Next Result set to see more results
5. If you click on any result, that particular para will open up in the box on the upper right with the search word highlighted, In case of multiple words, the same will be highlighted in different colours.
6. If you wish to see more lines in the box for large paragraphs, then increase the same in the box saying “Show lines on page”
7. Clicking on Next result set in upper box will show more pages from the same paragraph.
8. To go back to a previous screen, press the back button of your browser.
Example 2: Use of Multiple Words
A search for the words "phutthassa loke dhamma" will give the results as below
and if you click on the (4) next to Sutta, you should see as under in the result box on lower right
|1. Khuddakapāṭha-aṭṭhakathā/5. Maṅgalasuttavaṇṇanā pg.43(Goto Text)|
|3. Suttanipāta-aṭṭhakathā/2. Cūḷavaggo pg.58(Goto Text)|
At any time, you can type in a fresh word in the search box and click “Go”.
There is no need to use diacriticals for search. However if you wish to do so, please use the keyboard below to type the same.